Topical or Internal: How does your skin receive nutrition?

The easy answer is both, but that is not as simple as it appears. The fastest and most direct way to get nutrients to your skin, more accurately to your skin cells, is to apply them topically using a method and in a form that ensures bioavailability. On the other hand, nutrients taken internally are essential for overall health as well as skin health, but the delivery mechanism is slower and lacking in concentration. The first place that systemic nutritional deficiency shows up is in your skin. The good news is that your skin is the first thing to respond (probably because we can actually see it as opposed to other organs) when nutrition is increased.

Topical application: When nutrients are applied topically, there is precise control of the potency and concentration of the ingredients. The factors that influence topical nutrient penetration are solubility (lipid or water soluble), concentration, molecular structure and size as well as the method of application.

Internal delivery: When delivered by the blood stream (internally), the nutrient content is diminished by as much as 95%, leaving only 5% of the nutrients available to your skin, your body’s largest organ. The rate of skin cell turnover (about every 30 days) demands a consistent delivery of nutrients to the skin. Taking nutrients internally does not provide the quick delivery of need skin nourishment.